Wissahickon 3, Plymouth Whtemarsh 2 OT

By Rick Woelfel

The result left the victors ecstatic and their defeated foes in agony. Two teams played a quality hockey game and left Hatfield Ice Wednesday night separated by the slimmest of margins.

It took Bryan Garry’s power-play goal 26 seconds into overtime to give the Wissahickon a 3-2 win over Plymouth Whitemarsh in a Suburban High School Hockey League Class A semifinal.

The win moves the second-seeded Trojans (12-3-2) into Thursday’s final against top-seeded Lower Moreland (8:40 at Hatfield Ice).

The winning goal came during a four-on three situation that got its start when minor penalties 20 seconds apart late in the third period left each team a man down heading into the 15-minute sudden death (five skaters against five) overtime period.

When John Cubbin was whistled for tripping just 11 seconds into the extra session, the third-seeded Colonials were two men short and the second-seeded Trojans had a lot of open ice to work in.

Gary’s goal came on a wrister from around the left circle and put a damper on a brilliant performance in goal by the Colonials’ Ben Yuter, who made 42 saves and was challenged repeatedly.

“Three goals in 45 shots on net,” said Plymouth Whitemarsh coach Josh Aiello.

Wissahickon coach ken Harrington was impressed Yuter’s effort, as was everyone else in the building. “We got a lot of shots on goal,” he said. “We just couldn’t get the rebounds. He did a superb job, hats off to him.”


The teams have now split four meetings this season. Gary said he was not surprised that Wednesday’s game was close.

Garry said he was expecting the fourth meeting of the year between the two teams to be a tightly contested affair

“We’ve played them before and they’ve been close games” he said, “so I just expected it be another close game.”

The Trojans’ Dan Glazer started the scoring just 1:25 into the first frame. Gavin Mulligan tied the game for Plymouth Whitemarsh at the 15:16 mark off a Wissahickon turnover in the neutral zone.

Aidan Keogh scored on a wraparound move from behind the goal 6:05 into the third period to give Plymouth Whitemarsh a 2-1 lead. Sean Gary tied the game for Wissahickon with 3:40 left in regulation but Yuter made some big saves down the stretch to force overtime.


Plymouth Whitemarsh 1 0 1 0—2

Wissahickon 1 0 1 1—2

First-period goals: Dan Glazer (W) from Sean Garry, 1:25; Gavin Mulligan (PW) from Peter Troy, 15:16.

Third-period goals: Aidan Keogh (PW) from Jake Weikel, 6:05; Sean Garry (W) from Bryan Garry, 13:20.

Overtime goal: Bryan Garry (W) from Sean Garry, :26 (pp).
Shots: Plymouth Whitemarsh 21, Wissahickon 45; Saves: Ben Yuter (PW) 42, Michael Henderson (W) 19

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s